I'm more than pleased to welcome Micheal Offutt to the Character Depot. Mike is a wonderful blogger. He shoots straight, saying exactly what he means. Follow his blog here. His subject is one I could talk about all day, so without further delay...
Diversity in the fiction that I read and write is important. In SLIPSTREAM, I have a huge selection of main characters that all have crucial roles to play, and many of them have ethnic backgrounds:
1) Jordan and Kathy are twins. They are Caucasian with blond hair and blue eyes. However, this isn’t random. There’s a reason they look this way and I explain it in the book.
2) Kolin is also blond with blue eyes, but he’s British. He’s a trained killer that befriends the twins and to whom Jordan falls in love with.
3) Chewy is a black woman. She’s is the leader of a sect of people who make it possible for Jordan and Kathy to accomplish something very important. She’s incredibly smart, tech savvy, and compassionate.
4) Hammer is a black man. He drives a tank through downtown Kilvarough City (a huge metropolis) and has a group of men that follow his every command when he goes to battle the forces of evil. Without this heroic figure, Jordan and Kathy would fail.
5) Meteora is a being of pure energy. Without him, everything falls to pieces.
6) Dylan is a boy of mixed ancestry who has a Native American familiar called a Nahual. This puma (big cat) is responsible for answering a big mystery in the book.
7) Rachael is a prostitute (I don’t go into her ancestry but in my mind I pictured her as having middle-eastern parents). Rachael is also crucial to the story. She’s not just there to be a prostitute.
So in my book I have women talking to other women (and it’s not just about boys but about actual things important to the plot). I have a gay romance. I have black people doing tremendously heroic things, who are smart, sexy, and powerful. I have beings of pure energy, prostitutes, and paranormal beings contributing to the overall story.
I’m proud of the diversity in SLIPSTREAM.
I have a contest for the release of my book. I will pick one random person who comments on this post to win a $5 Amazon Gift Card and a SLIPSTREAM jeweled spider (the same person wins both prizes). The jeweled spider really sparkles in the sunlight. I hope whoever wins it really likes it. Also, please make sure that your email is linked to your signature in some way. And yes, the crystal spiders play an important role in my book.
1) Mark my book “To Read” on Goodreads.
2) Comment on this post.
3) Tweet this post if you have twitter. You don’t have to sign-up for twitter. It’s the “honor” system.
That’s it. I will choose a winner on Saturday, May 19th. And thank you, Ms. Campbell, for having me on your fine blog.